Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Remembering those we've lost

After 38 hours of travel, I have finally arrived to beautiful NZ.  During every one of my layovers, someone overheard I was going to Antarctica and before I knew it there was a crowd around me.  My flight out of LA was delayed just long enough to ensure I missed my connection in Australia.  I was rebooked on an Air Emirates flight, which meant that I ended up having a 5 plane, 4 different airline trip to arrive in Christchurch.  Needless to say, I was blown away when all 3 of my ridiculously sized bags arrived.  As you all know, I am indeed crazy.  Immediately upon arriving after this multi-day flying adventure, I rented a car and drove 4 1/2 hours to Dunedin.  However, due to the flight delays I arrived just as erev Yom Kippur services were ending.

As I have learned over the last years, you never know what life will throw at you.  It is so important to enjoy your life in the present, and look for and remember the blessings during the difficult times.  While on the road here, twice I received the news that a friends from the past had passed away.  Please take a moment to remember their wonderful lives.  I had truly been looking forward to tonight and the chance to reconnect and catch up with Alison (and John, who survived with their baby and is doing ok).  I will never forget their incredible hospitality and kindness they provided when I was a wwoofer with them in 2007.  Those we love live on with us forever through these memories.  

No comments:

Post a Comment