Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

NZ, VT, and Jews... so many people?

The world's southernmost synagogue
Who would have thought I would find so many Jews in New Zealand that have connections to Vermont?  The world's southernmost synagogue is in fact a lovely place and I thoroughly enjoyed attending Yom Kippur services there.  NZ and VT have many commonalities, one of them being that neither is a Jewish mecca.  However, a wonderful group of 20 people arrived for morning services with all ages represented.  When I mentioned that I was from a small state called VT, I was shocked to find that nearly half of the group had either lived there or had some other connection.  Others in the group had a connection to Boston.  Most people I meet in the US have never heard of Norwich, VT or Cohasset, MA but this group knew these towns well.  Jewish geography lives on even on the other side of the world.  They consider their services progressive, and actually use the same prayer book we use back home in Hingham.  One of the amazing things about Judaism is that you you can travel to the other side of the world, yet still sing the same prayers with the same melodies.  After services, we all broke the fast together at a local Thai restaurant with incredible food (or at least it tasted that way after nearly a 2-day fast).
The view from Inga and Greg's house

With the sudden change in plans, Inga and Greg graciously agreed to host me both nights while in Dunedin.  They have a beautiful home out on the Otago peninsula, and I really enjoyed the opportunity to sleep-in and relax before we head out onto the ice.  I made a quick trip to the grocery store and was delighted to see the full selection of wines from the vineyard I had worked at 5 years ago.  The owners I knew have moved to Australia, so I don't think I will pass through Cromwell on this visit.  However, I am looking forward to once again sipping wine from the grapes I helped grow.  There is indeed a sense of nostalgia on this return trip to NZ.  Inga even remembered hearing about this story from my previous trip (Kim, it's a miracle you are alive and I'm definitely missing our epic road trip).  Currently I am back at the Otago University campus about to give a talk on my research for the physics department, where Inga is a professor.  Next stop: visiting the Thompsons in Twizel.

No comments:

Post a Comment