Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Good Fortune in DC

Parade at the US Naval Academy
How to describe the last 48 hours?  Simply put: lots of good fortune.  I show up to Manchester airport (thanks Bill!) and they tell me it will be $90 to check my ridiculously sized backpack on board.  After some sweet talking, I find out that instead I could just spend $60 a fly first class with as much luggage as I want, so I flew in style.  Upon arriving to DC, I immediately went to the US Naval Academy to pick up the IceKid.  I was picked up to the good news that the IceKid as of a couple hours ago was now working for the first time (just in time!).  John Woods and his team are truly miracle workers.  After Jimmy and Dan showed me the inner workings of the IceKid, I spent the rest of the afternoon enjoying a parade at the Naval Academy (once again, perfect timing).  One of the midshipmen then volunteered to drive me back to DC and over to Meg's house.


Midd crew (minus Jason who joins later)
My first image from the IceKid
Meg, Mark, and Kathryn graciously organized a lovely dinner complete with an incredible Midd crew (thanks Mark for putting up with all the reminiscing) and birthday cake for Meg.  After dinner, the gang was easily persuaded to join me in the inaugural IceKid testing.  The IceKid is designed such that a bumbling, mumbling, stumbling idiot with mittens can assemble it at -40 deg.  Thus, it did not take long to assemble inside Meg's warm DC house.  Anxious to see the first images online, we checked out the IceKid website: http://icegoat.datatransport.org/monitor#icekid-1/camera0 but were disappointed to see no image.  As you might expect, there are a couple of logistical differences between DC and Antarctica.  One such example is the presence of buildings that block connection to the iridium satellite.  Thus, we relocated to the front porch and shortly thereafter IceKid made its first connection.  As it turns out, it has stored the data taken inside and we were treated to an incredible first shot.  We were better prepared for the second shot once we realized the camera flashes blue when it is about to take a picture.  Alas, the IceKid figured out where it was located, recognized it was nightime, and went to bed.

We were much more prepared for the 2nd IceKid photo

Ashley's lovely apartment
Yesterday Ian and I went to the Nationals game for his birthday and watched them cruise to an easy victory (something that we've sadly missed this year back in Boston).  While at the game, we left the IceKid on his porch to both test out the solar panels and keep watch for any intruders (unfortunately the IceKid did not catch Christine coming home).  I then was able to celebrate another birthday dinner for a friend with Ian, Christine, and Ashley.  After a great weekend in DC, Ian drove me to the airport with all 200 lbs of my gear.  It was fun being quite the celebrity at the airport.  The ticket agent was thrilled that I was the first person she met who was on route to Antarctica.  Several people who overheard our conversation or saw my gear came up to ask questions about my research or get the web address for this blog.

I haven't quite wrapped my head around my flight schedule.  I take off midday Sunday and touch down in New Zealand midday Tuesday.  At no point though will I ever see the day Monday, Sept 24th.  It's good, I didn't care for that day anyway.  I think I have scheduled this perfectly such that I have a 3 hour layover in LA right as the Pats play Sunday Night Football.

Next post: New Zealand!   

No comments:

Post a Comment